Saturday, October 13, 2012

The week in review


Lots of activity this week! One of the very exciting moments was when it started to RAIN!!! April until October is literally rain free which is great for planning outdoor activities. It also creates a very large water bill!  When it started to rain I dashed outside in my night attire. As I stood there breathing in the delicious scent of rain, I could hear all the plants rejoicing! It has been months since they received moisture from the sky- watering their roots just isn't the same.
    Monday my friend Sherry invited me to go on a cultural field trip to downtown LA. We stopped in Redondo Beach to pick up her friend Judy. We went to the fabric district. Bolts and bolts and store after store of every kind of fabric. Seemed like we were in Mexico at times, India at other times with a little China thrown in for good measure.  Sherry refused to dine at these authentic food carts….

Judy and Sherry modeling some fabric that we didn't want to buy!

Some stores were very organized and classy….

And some stores looked like this!
One store had only Hawaiian tropical fabrics

Then we strolled down other streets where all the fresh flowers were displayed. Unusual floral arrangements abounded.


Sherry

Bucket after bucket of Gerbera daisies



Final stop of the day was at the LA furniture/gift mart. Sherry got us in because she has an interior design business.  There were some very neat stores and some very tacky stores! This chair in the parking lot wasn't for sale!

My tropical flower bouquet.
Dave was gone a few days for work so these sweet girls came over for lunch and craft time. When I told them there was dessert they said, " Mom said that we could have dessert but we weren't supposed to ASK if there was dessert!" How cute is that?! I love the candor of children…. I wonder if they told their parents that I let them blow bubbles in their water glasses at the table? I think I will make an awesome grandma someday- plan to spoil them rotten!!!

So this is the solution to decorating for Christmas in a  beach climate.  Decor made out of shells and driftwood.

My newest cousin who lives close by: Dylan Roy. Brand new- only 5 days old here.  He is modeling some of my creations. He is really cute!!

Ready for Halloween.

My hibiscus really bloomed after the rain!

Dave took me on a new hike near our house…. we think we could see the ocean.  Someone was too out of shape to go all the way to the top!

Fall color on our hike

Dave's new hobby. This was his maiden flight over the ocean. His first attempt last week didn't go so well! He was flying at Dave's Beach in Carlsbad. Can you believe he already has a beach named after him? I went to Fallbrook HS football game Friday night - one of our friend's son plays. I pulled out my woolies to keep warm….it really wasn't that cold! We were included in some of our friend's special mtg company too. Well, all for now- off to have tacos with those friends whose kids really like us and who we adore! Then to the desert in the morning for another special meeting. Are your eyes glazed over yet?


2 comments:

  1. Read every word, studied every picture, and my eyes didn't glaze once. What a fun field trip for you w/ those two fun-loving ladies! And so neat that you get to have gramma-practice sessions w/ such awesome kiddos ~ K & K were born when we still lived in Escondido & they are growing right on up. I'm just a little weensy bit jealous that Pete's been down there these past months and able to see all our friends again ;-D Always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... life in the tropics. ;) It sounds like your days are GOOD and that's all that it takes to make me happy. Love it! I did catch a little "hint" in there about grandkids. ;) Ha.

    ReplyDelete