Thursday, September 26, 2013

The deep blue sea

Our " cruise ship" waiting for us to board.
Our fishing adventure…. we went on a 1 1/2 day trip with 23 other friends. Oh the fish we caught and the adventures we had!

Our "state room". Very compact quarters and my roomie! There were actually 4 bunks in our room which would have been very tight quarters if their had been 4 of us in the cabin!
Sandi and I- the only females on board besides one of the cooks and Boo ( 11 yr old daughter of Andrew who planned all this fun) Sandi is an experienced deep sea fisher woman with all her own gear.  This worked out well for me since the crew felt I needed lots of help! So often I didn't have to even bait my own hook :) 


John V. scanning the horizon as I relax on deck while we leave the harbor.







San Diego skyline as we set sail for the waters off of Mexico.  We left  late Monday afternoon and after sleeping all night we were 130 miles south of SD and 30 miles off the coast of Mexico. Perfect weather and smooth seas- as far as oceans go!

Before we left the harbor we stopped to pick up bait. This is the sardine bait place and the sea lions, pelican and sea gulls rest here on top of their food!

The crew had to clap their hands to get these guys to move so they could open the bait boxes.

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the crew to toss them a few fish.

Sunset on Monday night. So we "slept" - kept waking up because of the motion of the boat and feeling like we were going to be on the floor! The Searcher is 95 ft long and 24 ft wide. The call came over the loud speaker at 5:45 am that it was time to have breakfast and get fishing!

My first fish of the day- a yellow fin tuna.

Trolling and waiting for a strike so we knew where the next bunch of fish were….


First dorado caught - on a menu it is called "mahi mahi" Absolutely gorgeous colors!

Trae and Brandon- brothers.

The fish box was full after one round. Once they are tagged with numbers( so we knew who caught them ) they went into 30 degree salt water to stay fresh.

Dave and Brook talking fishing.

The dining/galley area where we ate and relaxed anytime we weren't fishing or on the deck.

Yes I am glad I have a husband who loves to fish AND insisted I come along :)

My dorado- it was beautiful when it leapt out of the water a few times while I was fighting to reel it in, These fish don't swim meekly to the boat once they are hooked! I felt a little sad killing this beautiful fish but I am looking forward to mahi mahi! That young man to my left is Owen- twice he got a fish on and handed me his pole to so I could reel it in. What a great guy! John V. one of our ministers also let me reel in a fish and videotaped the battle!

Boo and Trae our youngest fishers. They were amazing!


Sunset after our full day of fishing.

The tally board- around 190 fish were caught in 1 day by 25  fisher people. We caught our limit of yellow fin tuna and nearly our limit of dorado.

4 of the 7 crew members.  Greg ( second from the right ) was the most helpful to me!

Returning to Fisherman's landing about 8 am Wed.

Trae (on the right) caught the heaviest fish and Owen came in second. 

Our puddle of fish- yum!

Our boat's fishes

The processing place met us at the dock and weighed our fish and whisked them away. About 1 hour later we picked up our fish in this form! The big pile on the right is yellow fin tuna- sushi anyone? This pile of fish that Dave and I caught had a gross weight of 118# but you lose 70% of that in processing with this size fish. We had a yummy meal of seared ahi that night! I want to go fishing again now that I finally have my land legs back! Click on the link below to see our group photo from 9/25. A few people were missing- hope we didn't lose them at sea???
http://www.searchersportfishing.com/captain-arts-blog/

4 comments: