Tuesday, January 15, 2013

2 hikes in 3 days

   Before I tell you about the hikes I have to share a few photos of these adorable children. The kids are cute but they aren't the best photos because they were moving targets! They make my hats look really cute. We enjoyed having them over Sat evening along with their parents and 1 set of grandparents.  We have known their grandparents for many years and were at their wedding.  I am sounding kind of old…. Their Grandpa Dave was a room mate of my Dave, Their Grandma Lynae is from the great state of Wisconsin :) We enjoy their long visits out here to see their kids and grandbabies.

Our very own tangerines! The thrill of picking citrus fruit in our own yard is amazing!

After a delicious meal at some friends we took a hike before gospel meeting…. This is first hike I took after moving here. It is very steep and begins with "Heart attack hill".  I have to say I have avoided it- there is a more gradual hike up the other side which I prefer. But I made it with a little help from Dave.  Tristan would remember the stick that his Dad would use to help power him along on his bike? Well 2 hands in the back work too! That little strip of blue in the far distance is the ocean.

The 2 Dave's at the summit

After the hike on Sunday I decided I needed to train a little more on steep slopes.  Dave is off traveling for work so after making out my last will and testament, today I headed to Monserate Mountain. I have hiked this before with Dave so I knew where I was going.  It was a beautiful sunny day- about 60 degrees at the base of the hike.  I am proud to say I did it all by myself! The view at the top is stunning. The ocean is one direction and snow capped mountains the other direction.
This is a rock pile with a guest book and various snacks in a box at the base.  I guess if you get stranded you  will have something to eat and something to read.

It is hard to see the ocean in this photo but it is there.  

Snow capped peaks in the far distance.

I have been whining about the multiple nights of frost ( tonight should be the last for now).   I have been faithfully covering all of our new plants and they are doing okay.  FYI- I wondered why the fountain wasn't flowing very evenly… well there was a full layer of ice on every level! I stopped at a local nursery to buy a few new plants for one of my pots. How awesome is it to buy plants in January!

Anenomes with yellow violas will be planted AFTER tonight!
For someone like me who loves flower gardening this sure is a fabulous place to live! I will leave the vegetable gardening to others- the produce is so reasonable at the farm stands it hardly pays to plant. Besides, there would be less room for my flowers!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to get caught up on blog reading!!! Glad you made it back from your hike and there was no need for using your "will".

    ReplyDelete