Saturday, April 13, 2013

From Desert to Ocean

    Last Saturday found us in the desert…. helping out at a place that will be special to us next year when we spend 4 wisdom filled days. It definitely is the desert- sandy, windy and dry.  It makes you desire a shower and to pour water into your nostrils!  I know the desert has it's own beauty but…. I don't plan to move there! So the snakes and scorpions better prepare for an invasion of people in about 13 months!
    This special young woman spends her life telling the gospel story. Her brother is married to my cousin and I last saw her at their wedding in WI. Her 3 nephews were out at Christmas time to visit us (with their parents).
  This place is a full fledged campground so we will be renting a motorhome next year. It looks like the wild west minus the cattle rustlers and the saloons!

Beautiful hand carved doors


Homeless Depot- a very inventive portable tool shed 

Cute little quarters for 2

More bunk space


Yesterday Dave made some cute kids very happy when he fixed a bike tire! His 4th "assistant" was napping at the time but "helped" when he returned later.

And this is what I do all day-NOT!  I did plead for an outside couch which Dave seemed to think wasn't a high priority. It is an amazing place to relax and some day I know I will get fried when I fall asleep on it minus sunscreen. And the reading material-well that is a story in itself that I will tell another day.
  This Saturday (today) found us leaving our bed much too early to be down in SD by 8 am. I dropped Dave off so he could do a 35 mile bike ride. The route was named "3 hills" which means much more to you if you have been in SD. These are serious hills! I then headed to La Jolla do walk along the ocean for my exercise. And of course treat myself to Starbucks and a little window shopping. It was overcast and the Harbor seals and Sea lions were all sleeping in.  I was feeling envious!




  It was a purple day…. the colors really pop against the greyness.


Loved the rowboat/canoe sculpture.

Beautiful Calla lilies surrounded by African daisies

    After I picked up Dave we headed to Coronado.  And we biked! We rented some beach cruiser bikes and toured the island. That is my kind of bike- like sitting in a chair! Since Dave was already worn out we were a perfect match for biking. I even slowed down for him( don't tell him). We were here last year and it was overcast then also. This is looking back at the SD skyline.
More purple blooms. I look chunkier than usual due to several layers. We are now complete wimps if the sun isn't out. Hey 60 degrees is cold for us CA folks if the sun isn't shining! I don't have many photos since I was on a bike. The flower beds and gardens are stunning on Coronado. It must be a perfect climate for roses because they are amazing.

Coronado Boat House

A very unusual roof- some sort of wood shingles.

Time to cheat! Had ice cream here at Moo Time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment