Saturday, November 16, 2013

Midwest Meanderings Part 1

  Time to post on week #1 of our November in the Midwest…. we are actually well into week #2. We flew into Minneapolis, hopped the light rail and trundled down the sidewalk to Tristan's house. We must have looked like very well to do homeless folks as we dragged our 1 month supply of suitcases along behind us! We spent one night there and had one brisk, crisp walk before heading down I-94 to Wisconsin. The scenery and weather was so different than 2 months ago. In the 20's instead of the 90's! The yellow maple glowed against the background of brown and grey. At least Minnehaha Falls isn't frozen yet!



There is a must stop place on the way to Berlin- Norskes Nook! I am pretty critical of non-homemade pies but these pies will rival or surpass any you have had! Also the lefse is delicious. The waitresses fill out their Scandinavian outfits well-which proves how good the food is…. We had lunch there but chose a pie to go. Raspberry Sour Cream as recommended by our DIL. It surpassed our expectations!


  Dave had some more electrical work to do for our kids so he got right to work. And we lounged about and supervised! I did earn my keep by raking leaves.

On Shane's day off we took a field trip to the local cheese factory. Wheels and wheels of deliciousness! Wisconsin is still the #1 dairy state. California apparently thinks it is #1 but this cheese says otherwise. Also I have yet to see happy cows on rolling emerald hills in CA.

Dave had work to do in the Milwaukee/Madison area and I had socializing to do. Was great to catch up with Randy and Cathy and get to a gospel meeting. Despite the crisp weather I have managed to walk 4-5 miles per day. I really don't want to take that cold weather fluffiness back with me to CA. I can't help but check the weather...

A must in my book is a trip to Mama Mia's. We have been going to this restaurant (although a different location) since I was a child. The pizza is good but the garlic bread is the absolute best! rusty an the outside soft in the middle and dripping with butter and olive oil. Totally worth every calorie!

On the way back to Berlin we stopped at a nationally acclaimed creamery in Fondulac. Deliciousness!! And I was the first customer to place a star on Fallbrook on their map.  The theme of this post has become food…. All for now….


No comments:

Post a Comment