Friday, August 10, 2012

Disaster!!!

A

You know that moment when you aren't sure if you are awake or asleep.... and can't quite figure out what is happening? Well that happened yesterday morning about 4:45 when I thought I heard the outside sprinklers start up. Next I realized that I had closed the patio door in our bedroom before I went to bed so the sound should not have been so obvious! I flew out of bed and headed straight for our master bath and stepped onto the tile still half asleep. Right into a few inches of water! Water was flowing out the vanity and was flooding our walk in closet and the toilet room. I found the problem under the sink and turned the valve which didn't help much. I started to rack my brain as to where the water shut off was..... ( FYI you were wondering where Dave was in all of this.... in the lovely state of Hawaii for work).  I frantically searched for the valve but wasn't used to a house with no basement. I grabbed my cell phone and called our wonderful friends with the 4 very cute kids. They recently sold their house and bought a major fixer upper so I knew how handy Dave N. was ..... He didn't answer his phone but his wife did. He told me where to find the shut off on top of the water heater since it was the hot water side of the faucet that had the issue. Phew.... now do I clean up water first or move the affected furniture first? I remember running around crying, " Oh no,oh no...." You see by this time the water had totally flooded the bathroom, our closet and now headed into our bedroom, the living room and seeped into the hallway! I started flinging all the shoes that were underwater into the bath tub and grabbing every towel we owned- good thing we own a lot of towels!! My good friend Dave showed up to assist and give much needed moral support. 12 beach towels and 18 bath towels later it was mostly mopped up.

Our bedroom

Our living room

Walk in closet

New place to store shoes- the tub

Only some of the towels

Area rug sunning itself

 
After a call at 7 am to our friend the Allstate agent a water mediation team showed up at 9 am and proceeded to destroy our house. That water sure wicks up the drywall very quickly! This is our new wall between the good area and the bad area. Like a tent- sure pull the zipper up and step through!

Living room

Hall

Our bedroom- Dave's office is behind the plastic


The culprit

Where it all began. The cabinet is totaled- they plan to save the top and rebuild the cabinet.

Our new walk in closet- we can't find anything we want so if our outfits don't match oh well!  We have 2 huge dehumidifiers and 10 commercial fans running 24/7 to dry out the walls. Very loud and hot! Hopefully by Monday the drying process will be complete. It is a huge inconvenience and depressing but it could have been far worse. It is only a house and is fixable so we will survive. you know that you too are only one small pipe break away form disaster too so beware......

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that was quite a disaster, and just when you were ready to go enjoy your beautiful new patio! But I love your sense of humor about it, and aren't we glad for good friends who are available & willing to come help at all hours and for good friends who are Allstate agents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you've had a better day today!! So sorry to hear all about this. Maybe I should find out where all the water shutoffs are too, just in case ....... Hope the cleanup/fixup goes well!

    ReplyDelete