Friday, September 21, 2012

From Kansas to California- home is where the heart is...

Tristan has a very nice park by his apartment. I love the contrast of the old log cabin and the water park!
    "Home is where the heart is." Since this appears to be a true statement, my heart is in three pieces. I left part in WI, part in KS (who would ever have thought part of my heart would be in KS!) and the rest of that divided organ is in CA!  I had a week with each of the boys/girl and those weeks flew by but it seemed like I was away a long time from Dave and CA. When I landed in Milwaukee I felt like I was home.  When I landed in San Diego I felt like I was home. I guess that is a good thing just very confusing! When I meet people and they ask where I am from I can't just say "San Diego" but I add " originally from WI." I guess that is part of my identity.
Beautiful fall days and late roses.

Fountain in the park

Not sure who this big guy is with his wicked looking farm tool.

Where Tristan is living until his next job move.

We raised a gardener- his herb garden.

Tristan on the job at Kansas State

He gave me a full tour and explained what all goes into a project .  Piles of rebar.

One of two tower cranes- you have to be crazy to operate one of these.  You also have to be physically fit to climb up these every day. Tristan kindly offered to let me climb up to see the view.  NOT happening!!!

The big hole that is the basement

Proud of our Architect son that is doing such a complex job as an ICC (Integrated Construction Coordinator)  



New friends Suzette and Gabriel- an absolute cutie!
    My mother's heart is satisfied because I know that my children are happy, healthy, gainfully employed and making wise choices.  Although I wish there weren't so many miles between us I will survive because they are doing well. As my new friend Suzette said, " I am raising him( little Gabe) to leave me." If we do our jobs as parents our children do leave us and flourish in their own places. But how come it feels so lonely sometimes????

3 comments:

  1. Love you! Know you miss your "boys" and it makes me realize my day is coming. But look at them go. You can be so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember not knowing exactly how to answer that question "Where are you from?" Because of feeling like you belong in CA. yet having left a big chunk of your life and memories in your old home-state. It's just a weird transitional feeling. Yet, every time we would fly somewhere and then fly back to CA. we would look at each other and comment how it felt like we were now coming "home"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words about raising kids to leave us. We raise them to be independent and then cringe when they want to be:) Joseph and Amanda are the first of mine to move away-went to Aurora, IL last week in the first of many moves. Love to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete