Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I have an addiction….

Star Jasmine
   Oh don't think I didn't see how fast you clicked on this blog post when you saw the title! No I am not confessing some horrible long kept secret. Now that I live in this wonderful Mediterranean climate I realize how much I love to plant and nurture. After living in Wisconsin which has about a 172 day growing season ( if we were lucky), this new climate astounds me! We have about a 300 day long growing season. And the options of what I can plant are almost unlimited. And thus began the ADDICTION.
    For example, today I very innocently went to the dump with a load of cardboard ( from 3 new toilets and a patio couch). Well, my car just drove me right over to the local hardware store that has a very nice lawn and garden center. There is also a very patient woman who works there named "Kathy". She has answered a myriad of questions from me as I tried to learn this new climate. Immediately upon entering the garden area I smelled jasmine. I have been enjoying the smell of that Star Jasmine on my walks ( see previous post). Well once I smelled I had to touch and then I had to buy! It needed a good home with someone who would nurture and love it. I will keep in on the patio to enjoy until it is done blooming for the year ( spring bloomer) and then plant it on our fence where it can spread itself out and intertwine happily on the fence rails. Right now I am sitting in the house quite aways from the front door and I can still smell the fragrance.
   Well then I saw some sweet little tomato plants that I assume will grow and produce many sweet cherry tomatoes for my enjoyment. And I already had pots for them at home so it was a perfect match!

 
My back patio garden- Gerbera daisies that survived the winter,  a succulent garden which was a gift from a beloved cousin, and a yellow mum- a bday present from that family with the 4 adorable blond children.

Parsley and basil flanked by the tomato plants

This is the Fruit Salad tree we were given by our Sunday morning meeting when my Mom died last May. It  has multiple different color and type of blooms since it will bear different fruits. Plum,apricot,nectarine and 2 types of peaches. 
And here is one of the reasons I bought those plants. Our house has 3 brand new toilets that  flush very well. 

And my new couch for the patio. For when I need a nap and just want to be LAZY!


2 comments:

  1. Well it doesn't look like you are being LAZY! :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, I hope you don't mind, I have been enjoying your blog off of Lani's! You are in one of my favorite places...I got to spend a summer in San Diego clear back in '69 and wanted to STAYYYY....! So happy you got to enjoy HI..."THE favorite place" since that's where I got to work after college and met my hubby. I enjoyed your trip immensely after the fact!! So with your permission, I will continue to stop in once in awhile and enjoy the ocean, LaJolla, etc. through your eyes and sharing! Love it! Guess we can bloom where we're "planted!"

    ReplyDelete