Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Three Mothers

   Once upon a time there were 5 sisters and 1 brother: Evelyn, Ruth, Helen, Doris, Jean and Gordon Blakeman.  They grew up in Wisconsin and one by one they got married. 3 of those sisters: Ruth, Helen, and Doris settled in the Milwaukee area.  Doris and Don Baseman settled in West Allis.  Lee and Ruth Enge settled in Brookfield as well as Ralph and Helen Enge.  Yes you noticed- 2 brothers married 2 sisters!
    Those 3 couples were especially close to each other and thus we children were especially close.  I truly had 3 homes growing up.  My Uncle Don only had boys so he made a special fuss over his nieces.  Going to Lee and Ruth's home meant spending time with our "double first" cousins- just like siblings!  What an amazing childhood that was having 3 homes and so many cousins.
   Yesterday I lost the last of my 3 mothers.  Aunt Doris passed away after a lengthy battle with dementia.  Aunt Ruth died in Dec 2009 and my mother died in May 2012.  So in 3 1/2 years all my mothers left me to go on to their eternal reward.  So very thankful that I had the wonderful privilege of loving and being loved by these sweet ladies.  Now my cousins mean even more to me than ever since all my aunts and uncles on both sides are gone from this earth.
Doris and her oldest son Randy

My Mama and me



Aunt Ruth


Doris and Don's sons: Rex, Randy and Roger
With their spouses: Cathy, Tania, and Debbie. And one of Doris' grandchildren Melissa. There are 4 other grandchildren and 4 greats.

4 of my double first cousins: Marilyn, Ron, Lynette, and Joyce
Our family



Aunt Ruth and my other double first cousin, Laurel

Lee and Ruth's family

No comments:

Post a Comment