Monday, April 23, 2012

Midwest, East Coast, what is the difference? Seriously?!!

   First a disclaimer: I do not wish to offend my CA friends because I know THEY know where WI is.....
So tonight I was in the Trader Joe's parking lot and a woman in her late 50's complimented me on my cute car.  I was thinking this woman is pretty smart because the Mini is a very cute car! Here is how the conversation went after that first statement. W, " Where did you get your car?" Me, " Wisconsin, we moved here in January." W," Oh, Wisconsin! I just saw that that is a great place to live and raise a family. The schools are really good too." Me, " Yes, it was a great place to raise our family." (My, this woman is smart indeed!)  W, "Wisconsin....that is on the East coast right near New York." Me, " Umm, no it is not on the East coast." W, " Where is it?" Me," Do you know where Chicago is?" (Most people can relate to that landmark) W, " No." Me," Do you know where the Great Lakes are?" W, " No."  As I stand there aghast and wondering whether she ever had geography or looked at a map.... she says, " Oh, I grew up here and everything east of Kansas is the East coast to me!" Really!!

5 comments:

  1. I have the same problem! All the time!! I'm from "out east" to everyone here! Yes, WI is east of here, but I wouldn't call it "out east"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew I was a "yankee" until I moved to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! Sounds familiar! I had some woman out here ask me if Minnesota was even a state?!! REALLY!

    ReplyDelete